Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter

Our family had a nice Easter. I wasn't sure how it would all work out, but in the end it worked out well. Friday and Saturday I laid down as much as I could to get the muscle spasm to quiet down in my back. Then Saturday night my husband and I went to Wal-Mart, bought some cheap plastic buckets, candy and plastic eggs. Usually we boil and color eggs, but I wasn't feeling up to that. I took the plastic eggs and put candy inside each egg, then after church I ran into the house while everyone else stayed outside. I hid the eggs and set out their baskets with some extra candy inside; before I let them in I hid an egg under each child's pillow.

They came in and looked at their baskets, then went around and hunted for the eggs. It was pouring rain outside all day so everything had to be inside. My youngest, Ezra, had a lot of fun looking for eggs. It took him a minute to understand what we were doing then his face lit up and off he went.

With my first 5 kids, I used to do a lot of special things with them. Then one day I realized that my 3 youngest haven't gotten the same "fun" from me. I'm going to work a lot harder at being the "fun and creative" mom that my older children got. Its easy to put that stuff aside with the business of life, and when the older kids no longer enjoy that stuff like they use to. Thanks to reading blogs, I have realized how much I don't do anymore and reading those same blogs is giving me the desire and ideas that I much needed.

My husband has been buying buffalo steaks each time we go to the store. We had 6 steaks saved up, after the egg hunt we started fixing dinner. I worked on getting baked potatoes ready and he defrosted the steaks and got them ready. We don't have a good outdoor grill anymore, so he broiled them in the bottom oven while I baked potatoes in the top one. I also fixed a Caesar salad, plain salad and broccoli with cheese. His parents showed up and we had a nice dinner together.

Now for some pictures, remember that we just moved in and I am in no way unpacked all the way or organized :-)

The Easter "buckets"


Nehemiah, Ezra, Samuel and Zachary



Rebekah, Kati and Elizabeth

No comments: